The Italian Cultural Institute (IIC) of Los Angeles was established in 1984 by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to promote Italian culture in the USA. The IIC building houses an art gallery, a theater for screenings, lectures, conferences, and concerts, as well as a library that is open to the public. The Institute organizes Italian language classes and encourages the translation of Italian authors into English. The IIC also organizes events in collaboration with numerous local institutions with the goal of presenting Italy in all its cultural complexity, in the fields of visual arts, architecture and design, music, cinema and theater, literature, science, fashion and gastronomy.
The jurisdiction of the Institute includes Southern California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. The building which houses the Italian Cultural Institute of Los Angeles was designed by Robert E. Alexander, partner of Richard Neutra, and is located in the heart of Westwood Village, close to the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA) and to the Armand Hammer Museum, the well-known institution of avant-garde culture.
A special logo for the Los Angeles office was designed in 1985 by Walter Landor, who also created the Alitalia logo.
The IIC publishes a Newsletter of cultural events. Admission to the events is free of charge, but it is necessary to reserve for each event. Please refer to the Newsletter for information regarding events taking place outside the IIC that are organized in collaboration with other institutions or for information regarding ticket purchase.
The Italian Cultural Institute in Los Angeles offers a rich and diverse cultural program. It organizes first-class events on fields of knowledge ranging from archeology to restoration and visual arts, from architecture and design to photography, from cinema and theatre to music, from language and literature to publishing, from sociology to history, and from science to philosophy.
The Italian Cultural Institute of Los Angeles offers the following services to the public:
-Courses in Italian language and culture taught by qualified native-speaking instructors.
- A library, as well as a large collection of CDs DVDs, are available for loan, while Italian newspapers and magazines are available for perusal
-Information and documentation on Italy in the field of culture
For larger cultural events, the IIC collaborates with:
• Cultural institutions and museums: City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department, Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Armand Hammer Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, Southern California Institute of Architecture, UCLA Fowler Museum, J. Paul Getty Museum, Getty Research Institute, Autry Museum of American West, Nevada Museum of Art (Reno), Museum of Fine Arts (Houston), San Diego Museum of Art, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Bowers Museum and Santa Monica Museum of Art
• Theater or cinematic institutions: American Cinematheque, UCLA School of Film and TV, USC School of Cinematic Arts, UCLA Film and Television Archive, Academy of Motion Picture, Arts and Sciences
• Musical institutions: Colburn School of Music, LA Opera, Los Angeles Philharmonic, REDCAT, Opera di Santa Barbara
• Universities: University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), University of Southern California (USC), University of California San Diego (UCSD), Pepperdine University, California State University Long Beach, University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB)
The Institute collaborates every year with Los Angeles Film Festival, Milan International Film Festival, Italian Film Festival San Diego, Palm Springs International Film Festival, World Fest Houston, Newport Beach Film Festival, Cinema Italian Style, South East Film Festival, Italia, Los Angeles: Film Fashion and Art Fest.
| Site map